Saturday, February 20, 2010

Is it okay to use hair relaxer while pregnant?

I've looked it up and there seem to be different opinions about it. In the 1st trimester is it okay to relax my hair? I could live without relaxing it but my hair is quite thick and curly and relaxing it does help to tame it! (im a mixed breed) lol I only relax my hair about twice or 3 times a year....





Have you done so during the 1st trimester? Do you have solid knowledge about the use of relaxer during early pregnancy and just pregnancy in general?Is it okay to use hair relaxer while pregnant?
I am glad you asked this question. By asking this you showed that you are concerned about its affects on your baby. I don't know about hair relaxers specifically, but in general, the first trimester is when the baby is forming his organs and his whole body. Anything that is used on your scalp is absorbed into your skin. That is a very large surface of your body. The other thing that is important to realize is that while there are some things that were thought to be safe, they were later found to cause defects. Thalidomide was given to pregnant women and many women ended up with babies without limbs. Everyone had thought it was safe at the time.


Hair grows faster and then falls out after the baby is born.


My advice is to avoid it at least through the first trimester.Is it okay to use hair relaxer while pregnant?
some doctors say yes, some say no. There is no scientific evidence that shows its bad for the feutus. However, if it were me, I would air on the side of caution and not relax my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment